The N.A.R. economist/cheerleader gives his reasons on why sellers should list early this year. Like Yunnie, I don’t think Smoke consults with realtors, instead he just shoots from the hip. It’s not a bad thing, but it leads to lightweight, obvious answers – see article here:
I’ll add my reasons why sellers should get started earlier:
- With few other choices and with the school schedule allowing some latitude on timing, buyers have been tolerant about sellers renting back the house. Selling earlier and renting back the house enables sellers to bank their equity and make non-contingent offers on their replacement home.
- Motivated buyers have been anxious for months to see the selling season arrive – and those are the buyers you want!
- Some day we could see a surge of boomers looking to cash out of their lightly-maintained, long-time residences. With loads of equity, they (or their heirs) could undercut you on price for a quick sale.
- Historically, demand has been known to turn on a dime. Currently there is little evidence of that, but if the season gets off to a slow start, the psychological ‘animal spirits’ could recede quickly – especially on price.
- San Diego weather allows buyers to hit the street earlier.
The best time to sell? When no one else is!