Those in the business who know the mortgage underwriting guidelines might enjoy this video – here are my takeaways from today’s Caliber Home Loans talk:
- ‘Investors’ are banks, mutual funds, insurance cos., hedge funds, etc. who invest in steady streams of income. But they get more than the note rate – discount points and admin fees will bump up the annual returns to 5% – 8%. They are motivated to find ways to fund mortgages!
- Income-qualifying the self-employed buyers according to their 24 months of bank statements is an idea that should have been implemented by now – it is a fantastic way to qualify the actual income.
- Trended credit is a smart and gives benefit to those who pay off credit cards every month.
- Alternative credit is here to stay, and anyone who can verify they are paying on 3 lines of credit on time every month – one being rent – can get a mortgage.
- We accept that the government will want to subsidize the mortgage industry. The FHA allows for sub-580 FICO scores on FHA loans (which already accept gift money for down payments and multiple co-borrowers).