From the OC Register – Lansner on Real Estate:
The future of housing from Marji Knitter, president of real estate planners The Moote Group in Santa Ana …
1. You’ll buy your next home at Costco, Lowe’s or Home Depot. Prefabricated homes make a comeback, shipped from warehouse constructed in days.
2. Goodbye to 5,000-square foot McMansions. Hello to cozy, two-story 2,000-square foot houses — affordable and energy efficient.
3. High-tech marijuana grow rooms – legal in California for anyone with a doctor’s recommendation for medicinal marijuana — will be offered as options in some new homes.
4. Cruise industry finds new niche market – assisted living facilities. Seniors will call a cruise cabin “home” with meals, specialty physicians and therapists.
5. Planting of grasses, mosses, vegetables and herbs on the roofs of homes to save on energy costs and reduce your carbon footprint.
6. In a state where 86% of adults do not smoke, expect smoking bans to extend to condo, townhome and even single-family home communities.
7. Solar panels will be offered by most homebuilders, including opaque solar glass that can generate enough electricity through your window.
8. Rather than renting, single women who expect to remain that way — whether by choice or default — will buy large houses together with a shared kitchen.
9. Backyard windmills – so Dutch! Residential wind generator will supplement your utility service.
10. Your home theater might be your only theater. Look for more people to stay home and make their own (better) popcorn.
What do you think?