Menu
TwitterRssFacebook
More Links

Are you looking for an experienced agent to help you buy or sell a home? Contact Jim the Realtor!

Carlsbad
(760) 434-5000

Carmel Valley
(858) 560-7700
jim@jimklinge.com


Posted by on Sep 9, 2012 in Bubbleinfo TV, Historic Homes, Interesting Houses | | Print Print

Wheeler Bailey Library

From this book written in 1922:

Wheeler J. Bailey

A business firmly rooted in time as well as in substantial integrity is the W. J. Bailey Company, which has been in existence at San Diego since 1888.  Mr. Bailey is perhaps the dean of building material manufacturers and dealers in Southern California, was one of the first in America to manufacture Portland cement, and his company for years has done a large business in supplying of all building materials except lumber and lumber products.

Wheeler J. Bailey was educated in the public schools of Circleville, Ohio, and after leaving high school he went to Columbus and for twelve and a half years was connected with a wholesale drug house in that city.

Mr. Bailey came to California in 1888, and in the same year established the business the business now known as the W. J. Bailey Company.  The offices and warehouse of the company are at 708 West G Street, where Mr. Bailey erected a large building of hollow tile, and he was instrumental in securing the first manufacture of hollow tile in Los Angeles County.

As a manufacturer and dealer Mr. Bailey has supplied material for nearly every building in San Diego and vicinity during the past thiry years.  The service rendered by his company has been a progressive one and has brought to San Diego builders the finest products of the building art.  He was the pioneer in introducing pressed brick into this section of California, and he furnished the material for the Coronado Hotel at Coronado Beach.

Mr. Bailey is a bachelor, but keeps up a country home in San Diego County at La Jolla.  From the standpoint of best interiors the Bailey home was selected as one of a list of forty homes in America for special commendation in a national encyclopedia devoted to interiors.

This home, built on the lines of the Spanish-Italian style of architecture, was erected in 1907 on the Amalfi tract in La Jolla, a place all travelers know.  The entire tract was laid out by Mr. Bailey.  His home was dedicated by the late Madame Modjeska, and has been the scene of entertainment for many distinguished guests during the past fifteen years.

Mr. Bailey has been secretary and treasurer of the Bishops School at La Jolla for six years.